Department of Basic Science
Prof. Dr. NARAYANAN NAMBOOTHIRY V. MA, MPhil, D.Litt.
Born on 13-04-1954 as the son of Vishnu Namboothiry and Devaki Antherjanam, resides at Narmada, Kalarcode, Alappuzha District. After completing his Graduation and Post-Graduation in MA Economics from Sanatana Dharma College, Alappuzha, joined as Jr. Lecturer in the same College in the year 1986, where he continued till his retirement on 31-3-2010. He worked there as Associate Professor and Head of the Department of Economics. Being a rank holder in MA, he could acquire M.Phil. Degree with A Grade. During his career, he served the institution at various capacities as Programme Officer, National Service Scheme, as Resource Person in Adult and Continuing Education, University of Kerala, President of the Planning Forum, also Resource Person for various Governmental Programmes under Education Department, Government of Kerala, and various NGOs. He was an active and successful organizer of various Workshops at College Level, University Level and State level in the field of Recycling of used materials and efficient utilization of local level cheap raw materials. He could also proceed a long way in the Development of Developing and Diffusing Appropriate Technologies for the benefit of the society at large, consequently he could gain Honours and Recognitions from Government of India in the form of Awards and Patents. He got opportunities to participate in National as well as International conferences and his ideas were greatly appreciated by the academia at large. Apart from all these he was honored by various reputed personnel, nationally and internationally well known, in addition to the honors by well-known national and international organizations. It is worthwhile to mention his contributions towards developing creativity among students community through various publications under "Creative Corner" in magazines and activity-oriented residential off campus workshops at various places. After completing a reputable service of about 25 years, he joined at Carmel College of Engineering and Technology in 2015AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. NATIONAL INNOVATION FOUNDATION (DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY -2001)
Awarded for Technological Innovations by the Government of India (NIF, DST) in 2001 for designing and making of a MULTI-PURPOSE MACHINE having much social relevance with so many functions and can be used for cutting, grinding, carving, drilling, buffing etc.
2. BHARAT VIKAS AWARD (2017)
National award instituted by the Institute of Self Reliance, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, for Loyalty, diligence and outstanding performance in the field of Use of the Used.
3. SAYAM RATNA PURASKAR (2017)
The Junior Chamber International organization considering total contributions to the society.
4. KARMOJWAL AWARD (2018)
Yogakshema Sabha, Alappuzha Upasabha
5. SASTHRA RATNA AWARD (2018)
Yogakshema Sabha, Alappuzha District Committee.
6. EXCELLENCE AWARD (2018)
Dr. E.G. Suresh Foundation, Alappuzha.
7. EXCELLENCE AWARD (2017-18)
The International Association of Lions Clubs.
8. PHOENIX AWARD (2018)
Carmel College of Engineering and Technology.
9. DOCTOR OF LETTERS (D. LITT.) 2018.
UNIVERSITY OF ASIA, on the nomination of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Research & Development Centre, India, recommended by Carmel College of Engineering and Technology.
10. VOCATIONAL EXCELLENCE AWARD 2018-19
Rotary International Club of Alappuzha -No: 15903.
All the above awards were conferred on him for his outstanding contributions to science and technology, especially in the field of developing, disseminating and implementing appropriate technologies/innovations in recycling used and thrown out materials into eco-friendly products, having vast social relevance and economic and employment potential under the label "USE OF THE USED".
11. VARIOUS ARTICLES WERE PUBLISHED ABOUT HIM BY STATE, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL LEVEL REPUTED INSTITUTIONS.
The recent and most popular article is the one published by the internationally reputed institution "ARAVIND EYE CARE SYSTEM" in their "ARAVIND NEWS FEBRUARY 2018" issue (11th page out of 12 pages of the magazine.) with the title "A Man as an Institution" which is also published in the College Magazine of Carmel College of Engineering and Technology-2018, in his Honor. The original article can be read by using the following link:
PATENTS FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
1. MULTI-PURPOSE MACHINE (PATENT NO : 286299 -11-08-2017).
The need for a multi-purpose industrial machine capable of performing multiple tasks on both metals and woods is accentuated by the increasing industrialization and the lack of availability of space for keeping different machines. A multi-purpose machine can increase the industrial efficiency by completing multiple tasks with lesser space and lesser number of employees.
The present invention relates to a multi-purpose machine that can be used for performing different functions on wood and metals, simultaneously or independently. These functions include cutting of wood pieces of different thicknesses varying from 1mm to 485 mm, carving of wood pieces, grinding of wood and metal pieces, buffing of wood and metal pieces, turning and shaping of wood pieces, and drilling of wood and metal pieces.
The machine is designed to save space and also to make the operations cost effective. Used for performing the functions like cutting heavy and light wooden pieces, grinding metals and wood, buffing of metals and wood, creating carvings on wood, turning wood and light metals inside and outside and drilling holes.
The machine consists of a Band Saw for cutting wood pieces of thicknesses up to 18 inches, Round Saw for cutting of small wood pieces up to 1 mm thickness, Grinding Wheel for grinding wood and metals, Chuck and Tail Stock for holding the work piece and also for holding various attachments such as drill bits of varying diameters and Tool Post for mounting the tools for carving the work piece and also to hold various tools and also wooden pieces for making long cylindrical rods. Also contains a switch for operating the machine and a Waste Box for holding the waste generated during the production process.
2. PAPER PULVERISER CUM GRINDER (PATENT NO: 291987-23-0-1-2018).
This machine can play a crucial role in the process of converting used paper into a number of valuable articles like toys, teaching devices, puppets, paper glasses, paper pulp plates, paper pulp trays, lamp shades, flower vases, vessels for planting orchids, decorative and fancy items, packing materials, special packing materials for sensitive and breakable items like eggs, computer parts and glass vessels, handmade paper for art works, ceilings for getting protection from heat during summer, and also in the manufacturing of a number of other handicrafts and useful articles. This machine also helps in grinding the hard surfaces of raw materials like coconut shells, iron and other metals to achieve smoothness on the surface. This multi-utility aspect of the machine makes it a truly unique machine capable of wide applications in cottage and village industries.
AREAS OF INTEREST
2) Development of Appropriate Technology in the form of various machines and equipment.
3) Dissemination of such technologies among villagers and low income groups so as to enable and equip them with proper ideas and skills for learning, earning and self-employment.
4) Social work – in the form of organising and heading awareness classes for the low income villagers, students and teachers so as to get ideas about “USE OF THE USED” – through development and demonstration of appropriate technologies for recycled products.
5) Conducting classes among villagers to make aware of the possibilities for recycling of used materials so as to suit the slogan, “There is no waste. Waste is a misplaced resource” and to become self-employed.
6) Acts as a resource person under various organisations for the last 30 years for imparting skill development among villagers, teachers and students. Much practical experience in various fields related to training programs for village women under the "Community Development Through Polytechnics", MHRD, Government of India, and other NGOs and Government Departments. Designed and made more than 26 electrical and mechanical machines and equipment, which are having vast social relevance and employment potential. Much practical knowledge and experience in designing and making of fancy items (low cost high priced), models making, fabric painting, spray painting etc. Designed and made more than 200 products based on recycling and using low cost locally available and eco-friendly raw materials. Presenter of the above ideas at State level, National level and International conferences. Organiser of a number of residential workshops and awareness classes in order to build confidence, create awareness about nature and their environment, and create inventiveness among the children and also with a view to develop low-cost teaching devices for Joyful Learning which was largely appreciated by the parents and the general public. Organiser of awareness classes with the motto of spreading the message "there is no waste, waste is a misplaced resource" especially among the public. Received honours from various levels of Governmental Administration, testimonials from individuals of international reputation, NGOs, respectable persons etc. Various interviews were done by newspapers and national TV channels which were telecasted several times, including NDTV INDIA, NDTV PROFIT, NDTV 24/7, Manorama, Asianet, Surya etc… Has been devoting constant effort in developing (designing and making of low cost, gender neutral, eco-friendly and energy saving machineries adopting appropriate technology) and diffusing of such appropriate technology for the efficient and effective utilisation of locally available and low cost resources for local level development. Published more than 45 articles for developing creativity among students at large. Active participation in local level administration, being a member of Panchayat Development Committee and various Resident's Associations at various capacities. Devoting constant effort for the benefit and development of our society.
1. Member of the Advisory Board, Carmel Polytechnic College, Punnapra, Alappuzha (Since 1988).
2. Life Member (LF/729/103/200). Indian Academy of Social Sciences, Iswar Saran Ashram Campus, Allahabad 211004.
3. Life Member, The Indian Society for Technical Education. (LM 123002).
4. Founder and Former President and Managing Director of Adi Sankaracharya Social and Educational Trust, Alappuzha.
5.Treasurer, Yogakshema Sabha, Alappuzha.
6. Membership-Club/Organization Membership in various, social and residential level organizations in various capacities.
EXERPTS FROM TESTIMONIALS OF REPUTED PERSONALITIES
1. BY DR. MICHAEL J. LENAGHAN ON SIGNIFICANCE OF HIS ACTIVITIES AND APPROACH.
As directly observed by Dr. Michael J. Lenaghan, a full professor of international reputation (Chair of Teaching Excellence Professor, Miami Dade College, US, erstwhile Chairperson of Global Peace Foundation, also holding various coveted positions in international level Educational Institutions) by his presence in a national seminar, "The application of creative insight and useful technology to objects that can serve educational, artistic, household and small industrial purpose is a very unusual and profoundly important professional intervention that not only recaptures the use of materials from many spent sources but also equips, empowers and enables to educate themselves and apply their talents for learning, earning and self-improvement. The engagement and blending of several academic disciplines has allowed you to apply environment, experience and education into a product or service that is valued in at least one culture."
"..….invented a series of concepts, skills and strategies that can transform the environment of people and their economic potential. You have demonstrated information, insight, and inspiration worthy of a Michael Angelo, Thomas Edison, or other inventors whose genius will change parts of or all the world"
2. BY DR. SAHIL KARKHANIS FROM IIT, BOMBAY
"I well and humbly believe that the implications of an innovation such as yours are far beyond the imagination of any of us. 'The Multipurpose Engine' has vast social relevance…….After the opportunity to see the innovation for myself my belief is only further strengthened………."
3. DR. BORT VON TENDELOO, SCIENTIST FROM BELGIUM.
"The greatest genius and self-made man I've ever met in my entire life……the visit to your house, full of wonderful inventions……was really an incredible and unforgettable revelation to me. You showed and proved us that it is indeed possible to produce new machines for different purposes…. You are the owner of a creative mind…."
IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE,
Various interviews/programmes with Dr. Namboothiry were broadcasted by F.M Radio stations.
Received a number of testimonials and Certificates from eminent personalities/scholars from various walks of life, such as;
Dr. M. K. Sukumaran, Professor from CUST, Cochin.
Prof. P. K. Muhammed, National Co-ordinator, National Service Scheme Training and orientation Centre, Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Kalamassery.
Dr. K. Sivadasan Pillai, Director, Population Education Resource Centre and CACEE, University of Kerala.
State level Programme Officers, Co-ordinators of various NGO's……. to mention a few of them.
E-Mail - email@example.com
Tele. Nos. 9947059619, 0477 2267182