Department of Civil Engineering
Civil engineering is arguably the oldest engineering discipline. It deals with the built environment and can be dated to the first time someone placed a roof over his or her head or laid a tree trunk across a river to make iteasier to get across.
Civil engineering is the broadest of the engineering fields. Civil engineering focuses on the infrastructure of the world which include Water works, Sewers, Dams, Power Plants, Transmission Towers / Lines, Railroads, Highways, Bridges, Tunnels, Irrigation Canals, River Navigation, Shipping Canals, Traffic Control, Mass Transit, Airport Runways, Terminals, Industrial Plant Buildings, Skyscrapers, etc. Among the important subdivisions of the field are construction engineering, irrigation engineering, transportation engineering, soils and foundation engineering, geodetic engineering, hydraulic engineering, and coastal and ocean engineering.
Civil engineers build the world 's infrastructure. In doing so, they quietly shape the history of nations around the world. Most people cannot imagine life without the many contributions of civil engineers to the public's health, safety and standard of living. Only by exploring civil engineering's influence in shaping the world we know today, can we creatively envision the progress of our tomorrows.
Civil engineering is an exciting profession because at the end of the day you can see the results of your work, whether this is a completed bridge, a high-rise building, a subway station, or a hydroelectric dam Duties
To be recognized as a department of excellence for teaching, research and consultancy in existing and emerging areas of civil engineering along with imparting ethical values in professionals for serving the society with the highest level of proficiency.
To encourage and empower the faculty in the field of civil engineering education and mentoring for enhancing the teaching-learning process, undertake professional consultancy services in planning, designing, construction and maintenance of Civil Engineering structures.
CCEASON is the student 's association of Civil Department formed under the guidance of Head of the Department and staff. The association was formally inaugurated on 16th of March, 2017 by Er.T. Rajendran, Chief Project Manager, HLL, Life Care (GOI), Hubly, Karnataka (Chief Engineer, KWA (Rtd). It focuses mainly on enhancing the engineering skills, soft skills and the overall development of the students. The association aims to give immense opportunities for improving the technical knowledge of students and bringing awareness in the practical world of Civil Engineering. Several events like invited talks, workshops, field surveys are conducted by CCEASON for giving platform for the students to be aware about the latest trends in Civil Engineering.
- Chairperson Dr. Susan Jacob (HoD)
- Secretary Mr. Rajesh P R (Assistant Professor)
- Treasurer Ms. Roopa V (Assistant Professor)
- Joint Secretary Mr. Rahul R Kumar (S8 Civil)
- Joint Treasurer Mr. Aravind A (S6 Civil)
- Ms. Josmy Jose (S8 Civil)
- Mr. Sreerag S Vimal (S8 Civil)
- Ms. Shabana (S6 Civil)
- Mr. Arun J (S6 Civil)
- Mr. Abhijith Rajendran (S4 Civil)
- Ms Susan Renu Varghese (S4 Civil)
- Celebrated the 'World Water Day ', on 22nd March 2017.
- The Technical Fest of Carmel College of Engineering, the SPARKZ 2K17.
The CEASON participated in activities:
The CCEASON is going to celebrate 'World Water Day ', on 22nd March 2018.
Chief Guest-Er. Syam B Nayer (Senior Vice President, MOTT MACDONALD- North America).
Academic :Secured 5th position in Kerala University in as per the latest results (5th semester examination, 2013 Scheme)
Placement :60 % of final year students got placement in different companies through the campus placement drives facilitated in the college.
Co-curricular :Deric Anto Roy, Gopikrishnan K S, Jackson T George, Jijo George and Shebin V Thomas (B Tech 2014 Admn.) secured 1st position in TECHASTHRA, a technical contest of SJCET Startup Bootcamp 's Techathlon event conducted as part of ASTHRA 2018 in St. Joseph 's College of Engineering and Technology, Palai.
- Industrial visit to Poringalkuth Dam, Power station and tunnel construction site was facilitated in October 2016 to encourage the students to explore their role in infrastructure projects.
- Industrial visit to Science City, Kozha near Kuravilangadu was facilitated in August 2017 during its construction stage to exhibit the construction aspects of one of the biggest science cities in Asia.
- Industrial visit to Vrishabhavathi valley Waste Water Treatment plant was facilitated in October 2016 to provide an insight into the planning, construction and operation of a community based sewage treatment plant.
- A 7day survey camp was organized in Muhamma Grama panchayath in September 2017 to provide an opportunity to have a real time experience in conducting field survey.
Industry Institute Interaction:
In order to facilitate industry oriented training, a 3 day survey camp was conducted in February 2018 in collaboration with ALG International Institute of Technology using the latest technologies in surveying with emphasize on Total Station.
Survey camp was conducted covering 54 schools under Alappuzha Municipality as a social commitment for preparing the master plan of all the schools under Alappuzha Sub District and the contour maps were prepared. Among this, Master plans of 23 schools where prepared and submitted for onward submission to Government of Kerala.
Research and Consultancy wing:
An active research and consultancy wing is functioning under the department rendering services which includes Material testing, Soil testing, Water quality testing etc. Our clients include Indian Railways, KSEB, Kerala PWD, Local body etc.
Head of the Department
SHERRY ROSE JOSE
DEVI P SASI
VIPIN V S